From: Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problem on installing Gnome (gnome-light)
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 08:12:51
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I followed "The GNOME Configuration HOWTO"
4 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml
5
6 installing Gnome. Steps writen there went though w/o problem until
7 upto;
8 Code Listing 2.7: Adding hald and avahi-dnsconfd to the default
9 runlevel
10
11 On running;
12 # /etc/init.d/hald start
13
14 I failed to find "hald" but "hald.sh" instead. I considered they were
15 the same "sh-script" and hit [ENTER]. Following was displayed on the
16 screen;
17 Shunting down the Logical Volume Manager
18 Shunting down Logical Volume : /dev/vg/usr
19 Shunting down Logical Volume : /dev/vg/home
20 Shunting down Logical Volume : /dev/vg/opt
21 Shunting down Logical Volume : /dev/vg/var
22 Shunting down Logical Volume : /dev/vg/tmp
23 Shunting down Volume Group : vg ...
24 Finished Shutting down the Logical Volume Manager
25 Remounting remaining file systems readonly
26 * End *
27
28 Then my nightmare came again. Some commands can't be found.
29
30 Continued
31 # rc-update add hald default
32 ... file not found
33 # rc-update add hald.sh default
34 ... file not found
35
36 Then I ran
37 # vgchange -a y
38 .... something locked (sorry I can't recall exactly)
39
40 I can't proceed further and ran;
41 # shutdown -r now
42 text scrolling started ending at - blinking.
43
44 Pressed "reset" to restart Gentoo. On booting there was no
45 error/complaint displayed. Gentoo started with login prompted up
46 properly.
49 # startx
50 X window started.
53 Please advise;
54 1)
55 Do I need to reinstall Gnome?
56 (remark: installed "gnome-light")
57
58 If YES how to remove Gnome, the unfinished package?
61 2)
62 How to overcome the problem mentioned? I must run the command line in
63 question on 2nd installation of Gnome.
66 Furthermore I forgot mentioning on running;
67 # rc-update del famd default
68 (Code Listing 2.6: Switching to gamin)
69 fam can't be found.
72 TIA
75 B.R.
76 SL