From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Question about genkernel's default kernel config
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:54:48
1 On 2016-08-15 15:04 +0500, Azamat Hackimov wrote:
2
3 > Well, at least for me it's much easier just type
4 >
5 > genkernel --oldconfig=/etc/kernels/<someconfig>
6 >
7 > than
8 >
9 > cp <path-to-oldconfig> config
10 > make oldconfig
11 > make
12 > make modules
13 > make install
14 > <some quirk command to make initramfs>
15 > grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
16
17 One reason why I might prefer the second alternative is that I don't
18 have to be root except for the install and grub steps.
19
20 I actually wrote my own shell based tool to simplify these tasks, with a
21 "subcommand" structure, ie. "genbuild config", "sudo genbuild
22 installkernel" etc. It does call on genkernel to build the initramfs
23 because I didn't know about dracut at the time. Now I'm considering
24 redoing it.
25
26 So, can anyone explain why dracut is better than genkernel for _that_
27 particular subtask?
30 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
31 Why does the arrow on Hillary signs point to the right?