From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:14:31
1 On Friday 05 January 2007 22:00, kashani wrote:
2 > Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
3 > > For browsing the internet, the setup is just a little bit more complex.
4 > > At least, you need a http proxy running on the router (like squid), then
5 > > do port forwarding for ports 80, 443, etc. and set up your browser
6 > > accordingly to use the proxy. This way, your http requests are sent to
7 > > the proxy via the ssh tunnel, and from there go to the their intended
8 > > destinations using your ISP connectivity.
9 >
10 > Actually it is very simple to socks proxy your ssh connection and use
11 > that without any additional software.
12 >
13 > ssh -D 1080 username@×××××××××××.com
14 >
15 > Then pop into your broswer config and set the socks proxy to be
16 > 127.0.0.1:1080 and you're done.
17
18 I just checked and it seems that the OEM firmware on the netgear drops all ssh
19 attempts to connect. :(
20
21 $ ssh 192.168.0.1
22 ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.1 port 22: Connection refused
23
24 Same story when I use my internet IP address (it times out). It seems that I
25 will have to try openwrt.
26
27 Thank you all for your suggestions.
28
29 PS. I noticed that the -D option can be specified as: "ssh -D
30 [bind_address:]port". Which bind_address should be used in the above example?
31 I am not sure I understand how this is meant to be used.
32 --
33 Regards,
34 Mick