From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WARNING: Do not update your system on ~amd64
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 08:29:52
1 On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 07:34:41 +0200, Andreas Fink wrote:
2
3 > I've noticed a problem with the current PAM update to
4 > sys-libs/pam-1.4.0.
5 > The update adds passwdqc USE to sys-auth/pambase, which pulls in
6 > sys-auth/passwdqc. However sys-auth/passwdqc fails to build on my
7 > system, and leaves me with an installed sys-libs/pam-1.4.0 which is
8 > broken and does not allow any new login.
9 > The end result is that sys-libs/pam-1.4.0 was successfully merged but
10 > sys-auth/pambase will not be merged, due to a build failure in passwdqc.
11 > Disabling the USE flag passwdqc for pambase allows an update to pambase
12 > too, and logins work again.
13 > This is a warning to anyone out there who updates daily and runs an
14 > ~amd64.
15
16 Thanks for the heads up. To play safe, I emerge passwdqc before emerging
17 @world. It actually emerge without complaint on the three systems I
18 tried. I also made sure I could SSH in after updating PAM before
19 terminating the existing session.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 IBM: Itty Bitty Mentality