From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:13:48
1 On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:57:58 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > >No it's not. You were referring to a special case of the general
4 > >statement I made.
5 >
6 > I can see no material difference in the two statements in question,
7 > unless you mean "by the user" is a special case. By whom else would
8 > files be modified externally to Portage?
9
10 I mean that your referring to config files is a special case, portage
11 won't remove any file from anywhere in the tree that has been modified.
12
13 > The contents of the file have been modified, but the file itself is
14 > still owned by the package.
15
16 That depends on your definition of ownership. The file is not the same
17 file that portage installed, so it can no longer claim ownership, that
18 is now down to whoever modified the file.
19
20 > That's why etc-update, cfg-update, etc.,
21 > check any new version of the file when the package is upgraded: the
22 > file is still owned by the package.
23
24 No, portage is checking whether a config file of the same name as the one
25 installed by the package exists. It doesn't care where the existing file
26 originated, only that it is in a CONFIG_PROTECTed directory and should
27 not be overwritten. etc-update and friends simply look for ._cfg* files.
28
29 > >A customised file contains an investment of the user's time, a generic
30 > >file does not. That investment may be small or great, but it is not
31 > >for portage to determine that value and remove the file without the
32 > >user's consent.
33 >
34 > How much is that investment worth when the entire package is being
35 > deleted?
36
37 That depends on whether the package will be installed again.
38
39 > Remember: we are discussing the COMPLETE DELETION of a
40 > package, not an upgrade or rebuild.
41
42 We are discussing unmerge behaviour, unmerging is part of the upgrade
43 and rebuild processes.
44
45 > >We agree on the usefulness of a purge-like option but not on the
46 > >desirability or otherwise of the current default behaviour
47 >
48 > I called it an "annoyance". Having to clean up obsolete configuration
49 > files is just that, unless you can offer a better term.
50
51 How about "feature request waiting to be made"?
55 Neil Bothwick
56
57 If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike.