From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with foomatic-filters and cups-filters?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 22:39:05
1 On 09/06/2014 12:28, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Alan.
3 >
4 > On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 11:47:32PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >> For Alan Mackenzie's benefit, a little back story:
6
7 [...]
8
9 >> Many years ago, HP developed a fancy printing language for their laser
10 >> printers called PostScript[1].
11 >
12 > Wasn't it Adobe?
13
14 Yes, I believe you are right. this old brain isn;t what it used to be
15
16 [...]
17
18 >> meanwhile, printers shifted over to USB away from parallel ports and
19 >> this needed new drivers. Plus there's two way to do it: do the USB part
20 >> of the printing in userspace and only use the kernel for regular USB
21 >> work, or put the whole thing in the kernel. Needing more drivers. last I
22 >> looked, there were still some serious issues with the options to have it
23 >> all in the kernel.
24 >
25 > This is the CONFIG_USB_PRINTER, which if I remember correctly, must be
26 > either on or off depending on other things you might have configured. I
27 > have been confused about this in the past. Incidentally, my printer has
28 > a parallel port which was still in use until I got my new box in 2009.
29
30 That's the one. Very very confusing at the time and I recall it clearly
31 - the kernel config help text was as far from helpful as one can get.
32 Lucky for me, I found a howto by someone who understood and that sorted
33 it for me.
34
35 [...]
36
37 >> And I haven't even touched on CUPS' "feature" that requires you to
38 >> delete and re-add back all your printers after any remerge. Ask Dale
39 >> about this, he's the resident expert and he's even figured out how to
40 >> get hplip to work.
41 >
42 > I don't seem to need hplip at the moment. My emerge of cups last night
43 > (to 1.7.1) didn't need me to reinstall my printer.
44
45 As I understand it hplip installs drivers for HP printers and is able to
46 figure out what you have and which driver you need. I doubt it is a
47 dependency of anything, it looks more like something you install if you
48 want it and need it
49
50 [...]
53 > My main problem was with emerge. The fact that various printing packages
54 > were blocking eachother was only apparent in the 147k line debug output,
55 > not in the normal messages printed to stdout/stderr.
56
57 You have the bad luck to have picked exactly the wrong time to update a
58 Gentoo box after a long time away. A *lot* has happened in the tree over
59 the past several months, especially sub-slots that have now come into
60 their own.
61
62 Sub-slots are actually a good idea, and time will tell if the
63 implementation is also a good idea. There's many benefits, not least of
64 which is that every huge package your have like libreoffice probably
65 doesn't need updating every time a line of code changes in icu. Not
66 needing @preserved-rebuild is a small bonus, not something I care much
67 about. And I don't mind running perl-cleaner once a year with a major
68 version perl upgrade. I *do* mind forgetting to run perl-cleaner and
69 being caught out - sub-slots help with that.
70
71 Unfortunately portage has always been a tad obtuse with it's output, and
72 leans heavy towards a fatal design flaw to the user - too much of the
73 internal implementation shows up in the output wording. Recent !arch
74 version deal with this, that "no parents that aren't satisfied in this
75 slot" message is gone (no-one ever knew what that meant) and is replaced
76 with clever output that prints version numbers and operators (<, >= and
77 so on) in colour with neat carat symbols "^" below, that point to what
78 is important.
79
80 I strongly recommend you set portage to use ~arch, it is good code these
81 days and while it doesn't remove the complexity of the tree, it does
82 make a much better job of telling you what is going on and what it needs
83 from you to proceed.
87 Alan McKinnon
88 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com