From: Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:30:47
1 On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 12:24 +0200, Nagatoro wrote:
2 > Herman Grootaers wrote:
3 > > On Friday 11 August 2006 11:22, Hamish Marson wrote:
4 > >> All-in-all I prefer 240V single phase.
5 > >
6 > > So do I, although in itself that voltage is deadly
7 >
8 > When combined with a high enough current...
9
10 The current drawn through a conductor (in this case a live body) is
11 determined by the voltage, and the resistance of the body itself. Basic,
12 elementary Ohms law. A live body will draw something in the order of 100
13 mA from 240V ac (assuming the power source can deliver that current, we
14 can assume it will as this is mains after all).
15
16 The point is that even if the power station can generate 14 brazillion
17 quadrillion amps and the wires to your house can carry it without
18 melting, you will still only have 100mA going through your body if you
19 happen to get shocked.
20
21 The power source delivers the volts and th4e sink doesn't get to change
22 that. The sink draws the current and the source doesn't get to change
23 that.
24
25 alan
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list