From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How does Gentoo deal with GCC's header fixes?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 04:48:45
1 On Thursday 09 September 2010, walt wrote:
2 > On 09/09/2010 09:26 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 09 September 2010, walt wrote:
4 > >> And the only reason to re-compile an existing glibc is if the linux
5 > >> kernel headers change. I always re-compile glibc when the linux kernel
6 > >> headers change...
7 > >
8 > > hm, I never recompile glibc after a header update.... or anything
9 > > else....
10 >
11 > I never did either until recently, when I started playing with vbox from
12 > its svn repository in addition to tracking the latest from Linus.git.
13 >
14 > Until then I had no idea how often the kernel devs break things by changing
15 > kernel data structures and system calls without notice.
16
17 system calls are never changed.
18 And kernel structures are irrelevant for userspace.
19
20 So if you don't use any modules, you don't have to recompile anything.
21 In fact, glibc's own header set are derived from some very acient kernel
22 headers.