From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo router question
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:13:17
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I'm planning on following the instructions here:
5
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml
7
8 > to set up a Gentoo router. When I move in one week the router will
9 > get service from a DSL modem. For now, can I test the router by
10 > having it pick up the wireless network that exists here and then see
11 > if another system can connect to my new network?
12
13 You might want/need to develop something a bit more sophisticated on
14 the firewall part of the firewall/router. There are many choices and
15 hopefully some folks will extoll on these other choices for a firewall.
16
17 Being adventuresome, I have read a very interesting article about using a
18 perl script to launch/manage your iptables/netfilter based firewall by
19 Michael Diehl in the Linux Journal:
20
21 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8706
22
23 He is a nice guy and you can send him email directly to ask about his
24 latest updated perl scripts for builing a firewall. Mention my name, as
25 we have corresponded extensively. Note: I have not actually used the scripts
26 yet, as many other factors are effecting my network upgrade and new firewall,
27 chiefly being the absence of time to perform extensive penetration testing.
28 That said, I do like the scripts and the way it sets up iptables/netfilter
29 via perl scripts....
32 Any other security hacks wanting a go at the script, I'd be interested
33 in your evaluation.
34
35 hth,
36 James Horton