From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] A couple projects on my laptop
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 12:59:18
1 > Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 > > FAR more problems than im willing to go through
3 > > (the shortest set of instructions ive seen so far for automount is
4 like
5 > > 3 pages)
6 > +
7 > > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
8 > =
9 > LOL.
10 >
11 > After this, I find quite odd you have to be root to mount a USB stick.
12 > I've never had to be root to do it.
13 >
14 > My /etc/fstab says:
15 > /dev/sdb1 /mnt/removable vfat noauto,async,user,exec 0 0
16 > and I can mount it as a user just by clicking on its icon on
17 Konqueror,
18 > for example.
19 >
20 > I think what you really need, however, is not automount but maybe HAL.
21 > Check in the wiki and/or docs for info, and don't run away in fear if
22 > you see some page of instruction... after all, you're using Gentoo! :)
23
24 [Timothy A. Holmes]
25
26 HI
27
28 Thanks for the response -- I tried the additional stuff in /etc/fstab
29 that you mentioned and when I hook up the usb drive and type /mount/sda1
30 /mnt/flash -- I get
31
32 You must be root to mount
33
34 I don't know whats up with it. I appreciate the suggestion though -- at
35 this point, I guess its gonna take more troubleshooting time than I have
36 to spend, so I will back burner it for a while till the workload eases
37 up a bit -- I was hoping it was a simple setting change. I don't fear
38 pages of instructions at all, I truly enjoy it, the problem is more the
39 amount of time taken to execute what I want - -I have a number of really
40 pressing problems right now that im working on, so I will fiddle with
41 this later.
42
43 TIM
46 Timothy A. Holmes
47 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
48
49 Medina Christian Academy
50 A Higher Standard...
51