From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] CPU temperature monitoring?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:39:16
1 I bought this desktop 4-core machine during the coolest part
2 of the year and until very recently I could barely hear the
3 CPU fan except for about one second during power-up when
4 the fan spins way up and then quickly slows down.
5
6 Now it's hotter than Hades here and I'm very much aware of
7 the fan noise, but I can't tell if the fan is beginning
8 to fail (the noise sounds a bit harsh to me) or something
9 is merely controlling the speed appropriately.
10
11 The machines BIOS has no settings whatever concerning the
12 fan or temperature warnings, etc. so I have no idea how
13 to find out the CPU temp.
14
15 The k10temp kernel module loads automatically at boot with
16 no errors, so I just hope something (somewhere) is taking
17 care of this stuff automatically. But I'm only hoping,
18 not knowing.
19
20 Any ideas how to find out for sure?