From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't install a new system
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:33:43
1 On Thursday, 8 April 2021 16:47:05 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 13:27:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Untarring the latest stage-3 onto /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/gentoo/var and /mnt/
4 > > gentoo/usr/local gets me started. Then I chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash,
5 > > and that works too. Then I leave the profile at the default vanilla
6 > > amd64 and emerge-webrsync. So far so good. Then when I try emerge
7 > > -uaDvN @world I get a circular dependency involving elt-patches and
8 > > xz-utils. No amount of unsetting of USE flags makes any difference. Nor
9 > > does --excluding one of them, because portage just refuses to do that.
10 >
11 > Try omitting -D and -N to reduce the number of packages being rebuilt. If
12 > that doesn't help, post the output here.
13
14 I think I must have had a bad stage tarball. At any rate, that problem doesn't
15 occur now. Instead I get various ruby packages failing because they can't find
16 the gems directory, or some other problem.
17
18 There was once a news item about ruby-30, but I don't see it any more. At the
19 time I added this:
20
21 # cat /etc/portage/package.use/ruby
22 dev-ruby/* ruby_targets_ruby30
23 virtual/rubygems ruby_targets_ruby30
24 virtual/ruby-ssl ruby_targets_ruby30
25
26 That worked nicely, but not on a new system. I've tried changing the 20 to 27
27 and I've tried removing the file, but neither helps. Eselecting ruby versions
28 doesn't either.
31 Regards,
32 Peter.