From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdepim-4.6.0 woes
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:25:03
1 On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:36:14PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 22 June 2011 14:16:05 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > A while ago I eventually got my contacts back. I forget the actual
4 > > cause now, but I strongly suspect it involved tinkering with mysql,
5 > > and this may have broken in turn my calendar.
6 > >
7 > > I'm going to do one last test before consigning kdepim to the
8 > > trashbin: migrate everything to a new user and start with a default
9 > > config. If it works, I can migrate the data at my leisure.
10 >
11 > I swear, I am about to go postal and shoot someone. This issue with
12 > the calendar not being visible is fixed.
13 >
14 > Wanna know what it was?
15 >
16 > Calendar -> Settings -> Sidebar lists 4 things
17 >
18 > Show Date Navigator
19 > Show To-do View
20 > Show Item Viewer
21 > Show Calendar Manager
22 >
23 > That's weird, I see 4 ticks and 2 panes in the left sidebar. Let me
24 > hover for just a second.... Oh look, I can drag this divider bar. And
25 > fuck me sideways with a clue by 9 if I now don't see three calendar
26 > resources (the same three I set up in System Settings) and none of
27 > them have a tick. Tick all three. Oh but fuck me sideways again
28 > there's all my calendar items. Right click -> Add and I can make new
29 > ones. Double click an entry I can edit it.
30 >
31 > This has been a huge issue for 4 months since the first semi-usable
32 > kdepim betas were out. The default display after migration to kmail2
33 > was to collapse the Manager and To-Do panes to 0 pixels as The To-Do
34 > is positioned somewhere else in the kmail1 window layout and the
35 > Manager pane does not exist.
36 >
37 > Are there any visible clues in the divider to indicate the pane is
38 > collapsed to 0 pixels? No of course not! Don't be silly now!! Offer
39 > visible clues to the users? Surely you jest!!! Nonononono, we won't
40 > colour a collapsed divider differently, WE WILL TAKE IT AWAY ENTIRELY
41 > LEAVING JUST THE REGULAR PANES THAT ARE LEFT AND DELETE ALL CLUES
42 > THERE'S SOMETHING ELSE THERE AND HIDDEN. But we will put a pretty
43 > pulsating glowing blue border around remaining panes for your
44 > enjoyment and delight when you hover over them?
45 >
46 > And did I mention that there is zero clues whatsoever in the settings
47 > dialog that these panes even exist at all? First page last tab is
48 > "Calendars" (it duplicates SystemSettings). Something that would be
49 > real nice right there is a column for Enabled/Disabled. Fancy that,
50 > give the user an alternate way to see stuff that makes the thing cease
51 > to work at all.
52 >
53 > Sorry for the rant and language, this has beena major clusterfuck for
54 > me. And where I come from, that kind of monumental cock-up in a QA'ed
55 > release gets you fired. Or at least busted down to maintenance coder.
56 > Grrrrrrr...
59 Ha, so it's true then: using my blackberry as a PDA (sync'd to google
60 calendar) and not bothering with that stuff on my computer anymore may
61 indeed have saved lives. I suspected as much. :)
62
63 Sorry, not to make light of your predicament. I do sympathize.
66 caveat utilitor