From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: acm@×××.de
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] booting with kernel 3.10.17 - services fail to start. Help, please!
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:50:30
1 On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 21:26:08 +0000
2 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > My evidence for this failure comes from "$ rc config show -all": every
5 > visible service is marked as being "[stopped]". If I try "$ rc config
6 > start <service-name>", I get told something like "service is already
7 > starting". The same happens with "$ rc config restart".
8
9 Check /var/log/messages.
10
11 > I'm also missing messages from OpenRC. I see only these:
12 >
13 > Mounting /proc
14 > Mounting /run
15 > /run/openrc: creating directory
16 > /run/lock: creating directory
17 > /run/lock: correcting owner
18 >
19 > Enter runlevel:
20 >
21 > . The first message I expect, but don't see (after the "correcting
22 > owner" one) is:
23 >
24 > Using /dev mounted from kernel
25
26 Is CONFIG_TMPFS, CONFIG_DEVTMPFS and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled in
27 the kernel? These caused problems in the early boot in the past.
28 >
29 > . (By the way, are OpenRC messages written to a log anywhere?)
30
31 Enable rc_logger="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and check /var/log/rc.log.
34 > the "Enter runlevel: " prompt, I type "3", and OpenRC instantly
35 > displays the login prompt (rather than after starting the "default"
36 > services).
37
38 I'm not sure why it asks you, might be something crucial failing.
39
40 > I can log in as root. /dev exists, pretty much as normal, except the
41 > device-mapper devices used by lvm are missing.
42
43 Did you set up the initramfs?
44
45 > Either I've made a mistake configuring my kernel, or there's some new
46 > piece of configuration needed which I've somehow missed hearing about.
47 > I suppose I really ought to include my kernel config here, but I'll
48 > not, at least not yet, since it's 2737 lines long.
49
50 You can attach it to the email if needed.
51
52 > Please help me sort out this bug. Thanks!
53
54 I hope /var/log/messages or /var/log/rc.log contains more details for
55 us, to help you out; could you share those (attach or pastebin)?
58 With kind regards,
59
60 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
61 Gentoo Developer
62
63 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
64 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
65 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D