From: Andreas Fredriksson <deplinenoise@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying contents /boot from /dev/hdb1 to /dev/hda2
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:56:17
1 On 7/28/05, Sean Higgins <sean@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > > > tar cvf - * | tar xf -C ../new/
3 > >
4 > > * doesn't match hidden files, so the copy will be incomplete.
5 >
6 > Neil,
7 >
8 > Interesting. I had not thought about that. I did use the above to recreate
9 > my hard drive from one hard drive to another one. It worked well, I guess I
10 > lucked out that I did not have any hidden files in the "old" directory.
11
12 A better option is to use . (dot) a the directory. Also adding -p to
13 preserve permissions is essential when backing up a whole system:
14
15 tar cfp - . | (cd /target/path && tar xvfp -)
16
17 Regards,
18 Andreas
21 And I hate redundancy, and having different functions for the same thing.
22 - Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list