From: "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] eudev/udev changeover: a warning to Linode customers
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 17:50:10
1 If you have a Gentoo machine running on Linode, take care to note that
2 the eudev => udev changeover requires some manual intervention before
3 the next reboot.
4
5 You will need to DISABLE the network autoconfiguration option for the
6 VM, and edit /etc/conf.d/net to specify the new, 'predictable' network
7 interface name. This is because Linode's network autoconfigurator is
8 hard-coded to generate a configuration using the traditional style of
9 network interface names, eg. eth0
10
11 Alternatively, you can make whatever changes are required to have the
12 system enumerate the network interfaces with the old style names.
13
14 If you do neither of those things, you will need to use the rescue
15 console in order to log into the machine and fix your network
16 configuration, as the system will not be able to bring up the network
17 on its next boot. Ask me how I learned this.