From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is multi-core really worth it?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:34:47
1 Hello,
2
3 On Wed, 22 Nov 2017, Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
4 >That being said: if you do a world rebuild you will have lots of packages
5
6 that (even without the fetch) spend 40 seconds setting up the emerge
7 (unpack, prepare (plus eautoreconf))...
8
9 >that spend ~40 seconds doing their autoconf run, only to build 2-3 sources
10 >files.
11
12 Well, yes, autoreconf can be slow, configure itself less, but as one
13 writing both .spec files for rpms and .ebuilds, autotools is _by far_
14 the best both from a users and a packagers view.
15
16 Where's e.g. cmake's equvialent to "./configure --help"? Take defaults
17 or dig through whatnot spreadout cmake-files to find what -D arguments
18 to use... *bwah* Or qmake. Or whatnot. Yes. autotools sucks. A lot.
19 But it is transparent and easily hackable[1], and the rest sucks a lot
20 worse.
21
22 -dnh
23
24 [1] do a "grep" on 'sed .. configure{,.ac,.in}' in ebuilds and patches
25 in ${FILESDIR}/ to configure{,.ac,.in} in the portage tree, and/or
26 sedding/patching *.m4 files ... That's definitely "hacking" the
27 autotools build process which should not be done (a autotools
28 tarball is "selfcontained"). But it's so easy, it is done quite
29 often, instead of patching up the result, moving files around etc.
30 So easy and convenient, there's even "eautoreconf", even though
31 that takes (single-threaded) time to run. But rightly so. Upstream
32 is "notoriously" bad... The hoops you have to jump through for a
33 clean package with autotools are "walkthroughs" compared to the
34 stuff needed for cmake or qmake or ... I recently just gave up on
35 a (qmake) package, I just could not find what *.prf, *.pri
36 *whatnot file I needed to patch up to do as I needed... And I'm
37 not a newbie at patching that stuff.
38
39 And if you're adventurous, go and try patch up libreoffice or
40 mozillen ... ;) It's a pain. (BTW: I'm on the former, patching out
41 a lot of deps, like, when was the last time, if ever, you needed
42 to get a WordPerfect or Zoner Draw file to load?) Yes, all nicely
43 "useflagged", 406 lines of -U0 diff ATM with a 576 lines original
44 ebuild, but not ready yet ;) And yes, I'm even on the
45 "libstaroffice" stuff, and I _do_ have some of those file to load
46 and convert for myself...
49 >Someone from the society for prevention of cruelty to paper is sure to come
50 >after me if I suggest ramming it up a HR droid's ass.
51 Actually, it's that Lumber Cartel (TINLC) Directive (TAND) regarding
52 inappropriate use of their products. -- in asr