From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] to install portage on other gentoo installs
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 01:55:04
1 On Thursday 13 February 2014 06:14 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 13/02/2014 02:40, Edward M wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Been busy learning Linux :-) got new email other was getting crowded.
6 >> I'm planing on installing Gentoo on a few systems and I was wondering
7 >> to save bandwidth, i could install portage to the other Gentoo installs
8 >> from my system instead downloading from mirrors?
9 >>
10 >> Thanks in advance!
13 > Yes.
14 >
15 > The stage are just tarballs, download them once, copy to the new
16 > location and unpack.
17 > Same with the portage snapshots.
18 > Same with the distfiles.
19 > they are just files, copy them to where they need to be and use them, or
20 > let emerge find them.
21 >
22 > Read the install docs first and learn more about how Linux works on the
23 > command line. Pretty soon you'll find the bits where the manual says
24 > "download such-and-such from this place" and you'll spot that if you
25 > already have the downloadable file you can just use it already.
30 If you have a common machine or NAS, put them there. You can mount
31 /usr/portage to NAS / NFS. It does work.