From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 01:06:36
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 5:22 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 > How does that work? IIUC, when you created a snapshot, any changes you
5 > make to the snapshotted (or how that is called) file system are being
6 > referenced by the snapshot which you can either destroy or abandon.
7 > When you destroy it, the changes you made are being applied to the
8 > file system you snapshotted (because someone decided to use a very
9 > misleading terminology), and when you abandon it, the changes are thrown
10 > away and you end up with the file system as it was before the snapshot
11 > was created.
12 >
13 > In any case, you do not get multiple versions (which only reference the
14 > changes made) of the file system you snapshotted but only one current
15 > version.
16 >
17 > Do you need to use a special file system or something which provides
18 > this kind of multiple copies when you make snapshots?
21 And that is exactly what zfs and btrfs provide. Snapshots are full
22 citizens. If I create a snapshot of a directory in btrfs it is
23 essentially indistinguishable from running cp -a on the directory,
24 except the snapshot takes only seconds to create almost entirely
25 regardless of size, and takes almost no space until changes are made.
26 Later I can delete the snapshot, or delete the original, or keep both
27 indefinitely making changes to either.
30 Rich