From: hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the difference between emerge's --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:13:00
1 Am 10.01.22 um 07:44 schrieb Lee K:
2 > On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 01:59:13AM +0100, Morgan Wesström wrote:
3 >> On a freshly updated system (emerge -uDN @world):
4 >>
5 >> "emerge @changed-deps" wants to reinstall 0 packages.
6 >>
7 >> "emerge -u --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 24 packages.
8 >>
9 >> "emerge -uD --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 181 packages.
10 >>
11 >> A couple of years ago there was a build breakage in Portage because, as I
12 >> understood it at the time, some developer changed the dependencies in an
13 >> existing ebuild without bumping its revision level. The solution was to use
14 >> --changed-deps=y to catch these occurrences and I've been using it in my
15 >> regular update routine since then. But as you can see in the third example
16 >> above, it usually wants to reinstall hundreds of packages that doesn't have any
17 >> updated versions and I'm wondering if this is working as intended. I have a
18 >> hard time believing that gentoo devs are pushing changes to existing ebuilds in
19 >> such numbers on a regular basis without bumping the revision level.
20 >>
21 >> Some time ago I became aware that Portage now has a @changed-deps set, which I
22 >> assumed was accomplishing the same thing, but it doesn't produce the same
23 >> result as --changed-deps=y - usually just a dozen reinstalls or so.
24 >>
25 >> Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the difference is
26 >> between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that difference is intended and
27 >> what the recommended update procedure is these days to catch these and other
28 >> kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?
29 >>
30 >> Regards
31 >> Morgan
32 >
33 > Don't know if it's relevant or not but recently upstream deprecated the
34 > "KERNEL" USE flag, resulting in many rebuilds for packages.
37 I don't think so. "N" should have taken care of this.
38
39 from the man:
40 --newuse, -N Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags
41 have changed since compilation. [...]