From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Please help me with an emerge "slot" problem.
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 15:03:03
1 On 14/07/2013 14:59, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Philip,
3 >
4 > On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 09:00:34PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
5 >> 130713 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 >>> When I try "emerge -puND libgcrypt", I get
7 >>> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
8 >>> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
9 >>> dev-libs/libgcrypt:0
10 >>> (dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5.2-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
11 >>> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
12 >>> (dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5.0-r2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
13 >>> >=dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.1.90:0/0= required by (net-misc/vino-2.32.2-r1::gentoo, installed)
14 >
15 >> It looks like one of those standard conflicts,
16 >> which you resolve by unmerging Libgcrypt before merging the new version ;
17 >> after that, you may also need to remerge Vino .
18 >
19 > Thanks! I unmerged libgcrypt, then remerged it, then had some fun with
20 > pambase and shadow (whatever they are)
21
22 Oh dear, you don't know what those are, without them you have no user
23 accounts and can't log in :-)
24
25 shadow implements the Unix password scheme using /etc/shadow, plus all
26 the helper commands like useradd|mod|del etc
27
28 PAM is Pluggable Authentication Modules - a bunch of rules and configs
29 where you determine what exactly comprises a successful authentication.
30 If you wanted to implement a fingerprint swiper and retina scanner,
31 easiest would to be fit all that plumbing into PAM and tell the system
32 to use it. PAM ships out of the box using shadow as the default way to
33 auth users (i.e. by password).
34
35 pambase is what implements this default method. pam (the full thing)
36 implements the plumbing you need for everything else.
37
38 shadow and pam are renowned for causing blockers that can't be
39 automagically resolved, it's because they slot in at very low levels.
42 not liking eachother. I managed
43 > to get fully updated in the end, including merging the new libreoffice.
44 > It took a while.
47 Indeed. I find the only thing worse is icu. Even though the only docs I
48 have ever read are in English (usually the Queen's version), I still
49 can't get that thing off the system - libreoffice insists
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com