From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting default user environments in /etc/profile.d/
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 22:54:53
1 On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 07:11:37PM +0100, Stroller wrote
2 > So /etc/profile contains the following message:
3 >
4 > # You should override these in your ~/.bashrc (or equivalent) for per-user
5 > # settings. For system defaults, you can add a new file in /etc/profile.d/.
6 > export EDITOR=${EDITOR:-/bin/nano}
7 > export PAGER=${PAGER:-/usr/bin/less}
8 >
9 > Therefore I have created a plain text file /etc/profile.d/essential_defaults
10
11 I don't know if it gets executed in the right order. Are you using
12 baselayout 2? The items you mentioned are EDITOR and PAGER. For the
13 official way of changing global settings, see...
14 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=5&style=printable
15 for examples. In my case...
16
17 waltdnes@d531 ~ $ cat /etc/env.d/99editor
18 EDITOR="/usr/bin/vim"
19
20 In your case, I would suggest creating a file called /etc/env.d/99pager
21 containing the line...
22 PAGER="/usr/bin/most"
23
24 Note that the files are sourced by name in your current locale sort
25 order. In just about every locale numbers should sort properly, which
26 would start at 00blahblahblah and go through 99blahblahblah.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>