From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble decrypting message from firefox ebuild
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:42:40
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 18 January 2009 20:10:36 Willie Wong wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:49:10PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon
5 >>
6 > squawked:
7 >
8 >>> If I read that message out loud, it sounds suspiciously like a babelfish
9 >>> translation from Japanese to English. Whatever it is, the author of the
10 >>> message is certainly not a native English speaker.
11 >>>
12 >> You have way too much faith in the education system provided by
13 >> English speaking countries. While I cannot argue for most of those
14 >> countries, I can claim, by example, that plenty of
15 >> native-English-speaking red-blooded Americans write in a way not
16 >> dissimilar to the snipplet cited above.
17 >>
18 >> This is not to say your conclusion is wrong; I just don't think it is
19 >> possible to conclude from the evidence given that the author of the
20 >> message is not a native English speaker, when I consider the kind of
21 >> junk submitted to my in-law, who teaches at a fairly affluent suburban
22 >> school district, by students who pretend that they are writing in
23 >> English.
24 >>
25 >> Of course, you can bloody-well argue, by way of Henry Higgins, that
26 >> "in America they haven't spoken [English] for years." :)
29 > Forgive me, I was being foolish again :-) You see, I have this fatal flaw -
30 > assuming that the capacity for logical thought exists; when in fact, upon
31 > examination, one usually finds no such thing....
32 >
33 > Oddly enough (or maybe not so oddly) if I look around the other desks at work,
34 > the standard of spoken English is higher amongst the non-native English
35 > speakers. Maybe they actually paid attention in class?
39 Well, English is all I know and sometimes what I type doesn't make sense
40 either. I'm not stupid, I.Q. tests around 160 or so, but even tho it is
41 the only language I know, it is still hard to put something in print
42 that makes sense. Now if you read that and understood it, you are
43 good. LOL
44
45 This is also one of the things I hate about online dating or
46 friendships. Saying something in print is hard enough, putting feelings
47 into print is impossible. I guess the point is, you have to read
48 something and try to see what applies the most. Some things just aren't
49 meant to make sense. Like what I just wrote. ;-)
50
51 Dale
52