From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving /usr
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:51:15
1 Mark Knecht:
2 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=121164
3 >
4 > I'll proceed in this manner unless I hear back that there is some
5 > problem with doing it this way.
6
7 There are several hints in that topic.
8 I did move my /usr to a new partition, so I'ld say:
9 1. create and format your new partition;
10 2. mount your new partition in /mnt/whatever;
11 3. copy the content of your /usr into this partition by:
12 cp -a /usr/* /mnt/whatever (the "-a" option is important; look at man
13 cp);
14 4. reboot frome a livecd;
15 5. mount your root filesystem and edit /etc/fstab:
16 /dev/hdXY /usr etc.
17 6. reboot from the hard disk to be sure that your new partition is well
18 mounted and works; run "mount" to check that /usr is on your new
19 partition; test this in other ways to be really sure ;-)
20 7. reboot again from a live cd;
21 8. mount your root filesystem in /mnt/something;
22 9. delete the old /usr directory to free the unused space:
23 cd /mnt/something/usr
24 rm -rf *
25 NB: do not delete /usr itself, just its contents, as /usr is the mount
26 point for the new partition;
27 10. cross your fingers and reboot from the hard disk ;-)
28
29 HTH
30 Sergio
39 Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB
40 http://mail.yahoo.it
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list