From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo from Gentoo...
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 09:26:31
1 On Saturday 04 Feb 2017 10:07:26 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > since I have enough space on my harddisc and because there seems no
5 > solution for my dev-python/six-problem I want to install a new gentoo.
6 >
7 > I searched through different pages on the Gentoo site but only can
8 > find those, which will install via "....and now boot the iso
9 > image...." which I dont want.
10 >
11 > Is it possible to install a bare system from a tar-ball, chroot into
12 > that and do the installation work then?
13 >
14 > And: Where can I find such a tar-bar (I only find *.iso files) ?
15 >
16 > Cheers
17 > Meino
18
19 Boot your existing Gentoo installation.
20 Create the partition(s) in which you intend to install your new OS.
21
22 Continue with the handbook from here:
23
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks
25
26 NOTE: You may not need to install a boot manager, since you have already one
27 installed on your current system. However, you can install a boot manager on
28 the *partition* of the new OS, rather than the MBR/UEFI of the disk and
29 chainload the new OS boot loader from your main OS boot manager.
30
31 For chrooting, into the new OS, downloading a stage-3, etc. continue with the
32 handbook as you would with a normal installation.
33
34 HTH
35 --
36 Regards,