From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 14:18:43
1 Afternoon all,
2
3 I'd like to set up a little box to be a local mail server. It would receive
4 mails from other machines on the LAN, and it would fetch POP3 mail from my ISP
5 and IMAP mail from google mail. KMail on my workstation would then read the
6 mails via IMAP. That's all. I might want to add a few extras later, such as
7 receiving SMTP mail for a .me domain I own. My present total of emails is
8 about 4000.
9
10 I used to have a working system on a box that's now deceased [1], but in
11 replicating it I'm having difficulty threading my way through the mutually
12 inconsistent Gentoo mail server docs, omitting the bits I don't need and
13 interpreting the rest. Bits I don't need? Database backend, web-mail access,
14 web admin tools, fancy multi-user authorisation, any other baroque complexity.
15
16 So I'm asking what systems other people use. I can't be unusual in what I
17 want, so there must be lots of solutions out there somewhere. Would anyone
18 like to offer me some advice?
19
20 1. Yes, of course I did have backups, but in juggling the media I managed to
21 lose them. A world of advice to others: don't grow old. :)
24 Regards,
25 Peter.