From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reducing disk usage
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 02:09:26
1 Watch this one!
2
3 I ended up with a seriously broken system after running localepurge -
4 make sure you have your locale sorted out first! But it can save quite
5 a lot of space - pity the system was dead in the water ...
6
7 reiserfs is more space efficient than other filesystems like ext2/3
8 (depending on a lot of things ... YMMV)
9
10 -O3 - saves peanuts overall
11
12 rm -rf /usr/src/linux* - dangerous, lokk in there first and only remove
13 what you are not using (i.e., leave your current kernel, plus one other
14 "good" version as a backup - the number of times Ive had to roll
15 back ... :)
16
17 rm -rfv /usr/portage/distfiles - after thinking about if you need to
18 keep these versions, consider if redownloading them wont be a problem
19 (or write them out to DVD/CD etc. There are also a couple of distfile
20 cleaner programs - see the forums. If you have another machine, look
21 into http-replicator - highly recommended.
22
23 rm -rfv /var/tmp/portage - this can all go - often cruft like crashed OO
24 builds end up here - can be huge.
25
26 run `du /|sort -rn|less` and see where your biggest files/directories
27 are and see if they can go.
28
29 In real tight situations, NFS can help by
30 putting /usr/portage/distfiles, /var/tmp/portage, etc on other machines
31 with more diskspace. I have found this to be very flakey at times
32 depending on kernel versions, system loads, etc. Huge builds like OO
33 rarely finished without a crash or two in the build process :)
34
35 Use the -doc useflag and rebuild - this can save over a GB on a large
36 systems
37
38 there have been a number of threads over the years on saving space -
39 search the forums.
40
41 BillK
45 BillK