From: Anthony Mutiso <anm.mlist01@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing grub in RAID 1 system
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:43:05
1 Arnau,
2
3 Here is what works for me installing Grub on a Raid 1 partition when
4 using Linux software raid. If using hardware raid you should not need to
5 do this.
6
7 1. Boot from Live CD
8 2. Mount partitions from harddisk, including proc and dev re-mounts
9 3. chroot to mounted system
10 4. Start grub
11 5. Install grub on device 1 using the following steps: (replace sda, sdb
12 with your actual device name for your boot partition pairs)
13 a. device (hd0) /dev/sda
14 b. root (hd0,0)
15 c. setup (hd0)
16 repeat above steps for /dev/sdb.
17 6. exit chroot, unmount devices and reboot.
18
19 This installs the grub MBR on both partitions so it does not matter
20 which device is available at boot time.
21
22 You need to refresh your Grub MBR this way every time you install a new
23 version of Grub that needs to installed in your MBR. For those
24 re-installs, you can do it from your live system by skipping steps 1-3.
25
26 Good Luck
27
28 Anthony
29
30 Arnau Bria wrote:
31 > Hi,
32 >
33 > following http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID
34 > I'm doing next:
37 > If you are using a RAID 1 mirror disk system, you will
38 > want to install grub on all the disks in the system, so that when one disk fails, you are still able to boot. The find command above will list the disks, e.g.
39 >
40 > grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
41 > (hd0,0)
42 > (hd1,0)
43 > grub>
44 >
45 > Now, if your disks are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, do the following to install GRUB on /dev/sda MBR:
46 >
47 > device (hd0) /dev/sda
48 > root (hd0,0)
49 > setup (hd0)
52 > This will install grub into the /dev/sdb MBR:
53 >
54 > device (hd0) /dev/sdb
55 > root (hd0,0)
56 > setup (hd0)
59 > Well, when installing grub in sdb (hdb in my system) I get next:
60 >
61 > grub> device (hd0) /dev/hdb
62 >
63 > Error 15: File not found
66 > grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
67 > (hd0,0)
68 > (hd1,0)
71 > As I have never understood all grub concepts, I'm not sure if the
72 > command is correct or not (I think not, but again, not grub master
73 > neither middle-user!), so could someone clary it for me? Why is grub
74 > giving my that error?
75 >
76 > Cheers!
81 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list