From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Getting X11 to "underscan"...
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 19:12:23
1 On 2016-10-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10/18/2016 08:57 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2016-10-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I have three different manufacturers and each one has it, but on mine it
6 >>> wasn't marked in the manual.
7 >>
8 >> Not all TVs can disable overscan. The last time was shopping, many of
9 >> the Sony Bravias couldn't (that was a few years ago). On some TVs
10 >> I've seen, in order to disable overscan the signal resolution has to
11 >> match the panel resolution exactly...
14 > Yeah, I understand about the Sony TVs. A friend bought one in 2012/2013
15 > and we even emailed Sony and their reply was it can't be done.
16 >
17 > Until I found an option under Setup called Screen or Screen Display, and
18 > set it to Full Pixel. That disabled the overscan.
19
20 Several other brands also have some odd, trademarked, phrase for the
21 "disable overscan" feature, so keep an eye out for display modes with
22 odd names invented by a marketting person who never quite understood
23 what that mode actually does.
24
25 If you ask about your model in some of the home-theater forums,
26 somebody usually knows. But, you've got to wade through those awful
27 web-UI based "forums"...
30 Grant