From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why we no Heroku?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:48:50
1 On 20/01/2016 00:44, Daniel Quinn wrote:
2 > I wanted to start fiddling with Heroku <https://heroku.com/>, so
3 > naturally the first thing I tried was
4 >
5 > |$ eix heroku |
6 >
7 > …but alas there was nothing. So I poked around their site to see how one
8 > might install their client manually and the instructions
9 > <https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/getting-started-with-python#set-up>
10 > are the typically horrifying:
11 >
12 > |# wget -qO- https://toolbelt.heroku.com/install.sh | sh |
13 >
14 > The thing is, a quick look at what that || sh| is actually doing isn’t
15 > all that terrifying. Basically it untars a bunch of ruby scripts into a
16 > directory and then puts the path to the |heroku| “binary” (a ruby
17 > script) in your $PATH. Surely, this is a good candidate for an ebuild, yes?
18 >
19 > So I thought I’d ask: am I missing something, or is this really as easy
20 > as it looks? Is this just waiting for someone to write an ebuild?
21 > Bugzilla has nothing
22 > <https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=heroku> about it, but I
23 > can’t believe that Heroku use hasn’t come up before in Gentoo land.
24 > Surely there must be some web developers / ops people who would like to
25 > use Heroku stuff from Gentoo…. right?
26 >
27 > ​
28
29
30 Some folks have worked on it but for whatever reason ebuilds never made
31 it to the tree. The goddess has this to say:
32
33 https://www.google.com/search?q=gentoo+ebuild+heroku&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
34
35 Or maybe they did and got tree cleaned. Search the old cvs Attic and see
36 what used to be there.
37
38
39