From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optimizations for SSD netbook
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 17:04:58
1 >> >> 2. added elevator=noop as a boot parameter
2 >> >
3 >> > I remember that I've given this second advice. Since then I've read in
4 >> > the German computer journal c't [1] that CFQ has a detection for SSDs
5 >> > since 2.6.28 and now is the best choice for these devices.
6 >>
7 >> OK, do I need a boot parameter if I've set CFQ as the default IO
8 >> scheduler in the kernel config?
9 >
10 > No, that's what default switch is there for.
13 >> > Yup, the entry should read:
14 >> > tmp /tmp tmpfs default 0 0
15 >
16 > I'd also suggest to explicitly specify max size of tmpfs mount, since
17 > system locking because of wrong cp command is probably the last thing
18 > you want. Argument is "size=" (see man 8 mount).
21 >> Do you think mounting /tmp in RAM is worthwhile?  Mike doesn't seem to
22 >> think too highly of it.
23 >
24 > I guess accelerated fsync and reduced disk wear should be a nice plus
25 > for SSD device, provided the path in question is constanly used for
26 > writing which really might be the case with files, created in /tmp by
27 > various mktemp implementations (like python's) which I haven't really
28 > thought about, so I think I might be wrong about the issue here, sorry.
29
30 Thanks guys. I think the /tmp trick made a good difference. The last
31 thing I can think of is pruning the kernel way down. I think it's
32 mostly default.
33
34 - Grant