From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS terribly slow on writes
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 20:36:38
1 On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > on one of our students' lab the home directories of the students are mounted
6 > via NFS.
7 > Our main application (www.codelite.org) seems to write a lot of small chunks
8 > to files in the
9 > students' home directories.
10 >
11 > Thus, just finishing Codelite takes 100 seconds while the same version on a
12 > pure local machine
13 > takes about 2 seconds for that.
14 >
15 > A simple test
16 > dd bs=80 count=10000 if=/dev/zero of=$HOME/Test
17 > shows only 80 Kb/sec (speed of a floppy drive).
18 > The machine was idle and connected to a dedicated, nearly idle server by a
19 > network
20 > of 1Gb/sec.
21 >
22 > Does anybody have some hints on how to speed up such an NFS3 setup?
23
24 There's all kinds of NFS tuning options. I'm not an expert, so I can't
25 really make any strong suggestions, but my first stop would probably
26 be grabbing the ebook version of
27 http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565925106.do and giving that a
28 good couple hours' deep skim.
32 :wq