From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time issue
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 08:59:36
1 Am 30.05.2011 10:15, schrieb András Csányi:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I have a little problem regarding time. After every boot I have to
5 > setup my clock because about my machine the current time is +2 hour
6 > more. To be honest, this is a little bit annoying.
7 > What I did:
8 >
9 > - According to install guide I have copied the
10 > /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Budapest to /etc/localtime
11 > - According to localization guide [1] I have to set up the current
12 > timezone in the /etc/conf.d/clock file but this file is missing. I
13 > have checked it the original stage-3 pack from Hungarian mirror and I
14 > couldn't find there as well. I think this file is removed.
15 >
16 > So my question is that, what should I do to have the current time
17 > automatically (I'm in Hungary/Budapest)? Should I make a new clock
18 > file?
19 >
20 > [1] - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
21 >
22 > Thanks for any help in advance!
23 >
24 > András
27 First question: Are you dual-booting some other operating system?
28 Windows sets the hardware clock to local time, Linux expects it to be
29 UTC, by default. You can change this setting in /etc/conf.d/hwclock
30
31 In this file, you can also specify to set the hardware clock to whatever
32 the software clock tells. That might help you to restore the correct
33 time at boot.
34
35 The localization guide seems to be in a poor state. Copying the zoneinfo
36 file from /usr/share... to /etc/localtime is not the best way to do it
37 because then you miss updates. It is better to create a symlink between
38 the two. Also, instead of setting the timezone in /etc/conf.d/clock, you
39 do it in /etc/timezone nowadays (change introduced in baselayout-2 if
40 I'm not mistaken).
41
42 `echo Hungary/Budapest > /etc/timezone`
43 will do the trick.
44
45 Hope this helps,
46 Florian Philipp