From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:17:33
1 On Monday 25 July 2011 11:02:34 Mick did opine thusly:
2 > After some deliberation I've started emerging libreoffice. It gave
3 > the usual office suite warnings at the beginning that there isn't
4 > enough space in /var (I have 5.8G and it was asking for more than
5 > 7G+).
6 >
7 > Half way through the emerge I noticed that I have only 74M left and
8 > is going down fast! O_O
9 >
10 > OpenOffice was able to emerge in the past using this partition size
11 > without a problem. I've flushed logs and what not to free some
12 > space, but I'm thinking of extending the partition somehow. I
13 > don't run LVM on this machine so that's not a solution for this
14 > circumstance.
15 >
16 > Is there anything I can do with mount --rbind and could I do this in
17 > the middle of an emerge? I have another partition with loads of
18 > space in it, but it has a different fs on it (reiser4 instead of
19 > /var's ext4).
20
21 Mount that spare partition at /var/tmp/portage
22 emerge openoffice
23 umount that spare partition
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com