From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:00:02
1 Am Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 20:39:36 schrieb Dale:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
5 > something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
6 > This is what it says:
7 >
8 > Found sources for kernel version:
9 > 3.5.0-gentoo
10 > Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
11 > ERROR (setup)
12 >
13 > CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
14 > WARN (setup)
15 >
16 > Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
17 > Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
18 >
19 > So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
20 >
21 > │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
22 > │ │
23 > │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
24 > │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
25 > │ individual USB peripherals (see │
26 > │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
27 > │ │
28 > │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
29 > │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
30 > │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
31 > │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
32 > │ │
33 > │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
34 > │ │
35 > │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
36 > │ Type : boolean │
37 > │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
38 > │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
39 > │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
40 > │ Location: │
41 > │ -> Device Drivers │
42 > │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
43 > │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
44 >
45 > The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
46 > Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
47 > think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
48 > it should be there.
49
50 you you never thought about turning on your system via keyboard instead of
51 crawling under the table?
52
53 Also it says 'if unsure, say N' not 'experimental' or 'you should say 'N'
54 here'.
55
56 Upower wants it, so there is no 'unsure'.
59 > This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
60 > needing it or udisk that says I do?
61
62 so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop`
63 >
64 > Opinions?
65
66 yes, turn it on.