From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 07:05:54
1 On Saturday, August 22, 2015 1:52:00 AM Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > Please don't bother this list with more of your complaining until you grow
4 up
5 > > and learn how to use computers properly.
6 >
7 > I built my first machine nearly a quarter century ago. =|
8
9 Shame!
10
11 > That said, I spent the day doing diagnostics:
14 > Findings:
15 >
16 > 1. There were a hell of a lot more memory errors than I had seen before.
17 > 2. There was a smudge on one of the dimm's contacts and some of the
18 > usual dust on the CPU-facing one.
19 > 3. The motherboard was not developed by sane engineers. In a sane world,
20 > there are two types of variables: measured variables and controlled
21 > variables.
22 > The RAM voltage would appear to be a controlled variable but it is also
23 > a measured variable. In order to achieve a close approximation of 1.5v,
24 > I had to set it to 1.530 volts. WTF...
25 >
26 > 4. an AMD K10 processor cannot successfully drive 8-ranks of high
27 > density ram at 2x800 mhz -- BUT IT WILL TRY!!! I found all dimms to be
28 > good either individually or in pairs, but the entire ram compliment of
29 > four dims cannot be run at full speed at once with the CPU/motherboard I
30 > have installed.
31
32 Findings 3 & 4 sound like a faulty or underrated PSU...or a bad motherboard.
33 Start by unplugging everything that you don't need to boot from a live CD and
34 run some tests.
35
36 > 5. I found a set of settings that went through memtest fine but caused
37 > linux to segfault and die. I backed off the FSB a few notches while
38 > adjusting the multipliers to stay within the specified frequency for the
39 > processor and it seems to be OK now.
42 Fernando Rodriguez