From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:46:32
1 On 7/6/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 7/5/06, Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Steven Susbauer wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Ryan Tandy wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > >> Lord Sauron wrote:
8 > > >>> If you can, what I'd do is try and get the guy's MAC Address or
9 > > >>> something and then totally block that off. That's send him away right
10 > > >>> quickly. I don't know enough to know if that'd be totally possible,
11 > > >>> but if the guy isn't terribly intelligent, that'll send him packing.
12 > > >> net-analyzer/macchanger ;)
13 > > >>
14 > > >
15 > > > What's this? Portage on Windows?
16 > >
17 > > More just to mention that there is such a thing out there. And if it
18 > > exists for us, chances are he has a similar tool available.
19 >
20 > However, if you block his mac without an error message, then he can't
21 > know how you're identifying him to block him. He probably won't know
22 > what to do, and just might give up then. Worth a try, if nothing
23 > else.
26 Yeah, that's pretty much true. For a LAN. Doying it at the Internet
27 would most probably blacklist a entire subnet that's routed to you
28 with that MAC. So, not worth a try, it would be something more to
29 configure, and get you no benefit at all, while risking making your
30 machine invisible for people who could use the services you are trying
31 to securely provide.
34 Daniel da Veiga
35 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
41 --