From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 05:36:17
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >>> Maybe his/her laptop doesn't stand the
3 >>> thermal output of its CPU when emerging or maybe he/she's the
4 >>> administrator of a large company's network, trying to move every
5 >>> computer system to Gentoo.
6
7 >> Check out distccd!
8
9 > How does that help? Either every machine on the network spends time
10 > compiling when it should be earning its keep, or they all pass all the
11 > load to a compiler system that has to recompile the same code over and
12 > over for each computer on the network. Using that computer to build
13 > binary packages that the others can install is so much more efficient.
14
15 It does help in the case that Florian mentioned, also quoted at the top,
16 about the laptop... I agree that if you are going to build the same
17 thing for every computer it makes sense to do it just once. I was
18 thinking more about the laptop...
21 Randy Barlow
22 http://electronsweatshop.com
23 --