From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vbox vm no boot
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 02:41:02
1 On Dec 5, 2011 8:35 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> writes:
4 >
5 > > On Dec 5, 2011 7:55 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> writes:
8 > >>
9 > >> > On Dec 5, 2011 7:19 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
10 > >> >>
11 > >> >> Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
12 > >> >>
13 > >> >> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
14 > >> >> >
15 > >> >> > [...]
16 > >> >> >
17 > >> >> >> A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same setup.
18 > > Let's
19 > >> >> >> examine the host settings first as that affects booting too.
20 > >> >> >>
21 > >> >> >> What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on the
22 VBox
23 > >> >> >> host for that vm?
24 > >> >> >
25 > >> >> > I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:
26 > >> >> >
27 > >> >> > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi
28 > >> >> >
29 > >> >> > I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3
30 and on
31 > >> >> > Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there were no
32 other
33 > >> >> > choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was ok like that...
34 now I
35 > >> >> > see the dropdown on Storage has gotten populated since I last
36 tried
37 > >> >> > it.
38 > >> >> >
39 > >> >> > I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same
40 > >> >> > failure.
41 > >> >> >
42 > >> >> > Maybe those are not related to the problem?
43 > >> >>
44 > >> >> Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with
45 > >> >> gparted worked... Now bootup starts. But the same old sorry bs I
46 have
47 > >> >> always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now present and
48 > >> >> accounted for...
49 > >> >>
50 > >> >> www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi
51 > >> >>
52 > >> >
53 > >> > Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)
54 > >>
55 > >> Yes it is, and its missing because I have no idea what it wants. Do
56 you?
57 > >>
58 > >
59 > > I'm still on my way to the office, so I can't for sure tell you what,
60 but
61 > > IIRC if you use Vbox's default settings for a Gentoo Linux VM, it's
62 ICH9.
63 >
64 > I'll try that, but I think I've noticed what is missing when I clicked
65 > on the storage tab and then on the sata controller... it shows type
66 > AHCI and that suddenly rang a bell. I think that may be it... but
67 > right now I've ditched the vm I was trying to setup and started over.
68 > So I'll be a little while getting to the boot from disc stage again.
71 Just before emerging the source, you really should tarball *everything*
72 (except /proc, /sys, /var/tmp/*, and /usr/portage/distfiles/*), so you can
73 just 'pick up where you left it' :-)
74
75 Rgds,