From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting Question...
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 00:24:14
1 Benjamen R. Meyer wrote:
2 > I set up a server system a little while ago, and in performing updates
3 > to portage it ran out of disk space as I didn't quite allow enough space
4 > on the root partition (3.8 GB). As a result, I took a partition that I
5 > had cleaned up (this was from a rebuild of a system that was a different
6 > distro in the past) and moved over /usr/portage to it. It's a 47 GB
7 > partition (as reported by df -h) and the system works fine.
8 >
9 > I do realize that if the mount command got screwed up, I'd probably have
10 > issues recovering the system, but that is that system.
11 >
12 > I am now thinking of converting my desktop over to Gentoo as well, and
13 > was wondering whether what I did above on the server was wise or not. I
14 > will be using the server as the portage provider for my desktop too.
15 > Otherwise, what is the recommended space to have available for the
16 > portage tree in /usr/portage so I can have root as an appropriately
17 > sized partition?
20 I'd recommend having a read of:
21
22 http://www.freebsd-howto.com/HOWTO/Filesystem-Layout-HOWTO
23
24 Now, although its a Freebsd resource, the ideas apply equally well to
25 Linux (or UNIX for that matter - though you can skip where it discusses
26 Freebsd partition and slice naming). In particular it discusses why
27 separating /, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home is well worth doing - even tho it
28 wasts a bit of space!
29
30 I used build systems with / including /usr and /var .... but these days
31 I do not make these part of / (for reasons covered in the article).
32
33 The downside is you end up with a lot of partitions and filesystems to
34 figure out how to size - but you can use LVM make it a bit more
35 forgiving if you need to resize them.
36
37 Cheers
38
39 Mark