From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is --changed-deps going to be *that* useless?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 16:25:53
1 On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 26/02/18 17:59, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> Can't you whitelist packages like automake so that they don't trigger
5 >>> rebuilds? Or at least provide a configurable whitelist (for make.conf)
6 >>> where
7 >>> we can add packages that don't trigger changed-deps rebuilds?
8 >>>
9 >>> There is no reason to rebuild anything just because of an automake
10 >>> update.
11 >>> This is just madness.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> Are you using --deep? I suspect that is why changed-deps is looking
15 >> at build-time dependencies. I don't see why you'd need to rebuild
16 >> something if a build-time dependency changes, unless you really care
17 >> about building with the latest build system (in which case you
18 >> probably would want to rebuild after an automake update).
19 >
20 > Yes, I use --deep. I've run into cases many times in the past where portage
21 > was skipping updates unless I used --deep.
24 You might want to avoid combining both --deep and --changed-deps. I
25 haven't tested this but I suspect it is why you're getting all the
26 automake-related rebuilds. Granted, at present that would require two
27 separate updates if you wanted to use both.
28
29 It seems like a whitelist isn't really the right solution here. I
30 could see having a way to tell --changed-deps to ignore build-time
31 dependencies as useful.
32
33 Of course, the real solution is revbumps whenever necessary, but
34 getting devs to do that seems to be impossible, as everybody wants to
35 assume that dynamic deps work.
38 Rich