From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:30:53
1 On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:12:39 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:12:43 +0000, Mick wrote:
5 >
6 > > > Not that Google's profiling of individual's information is that
7 > > > hot anyway. Last year they approached me about a job for which I
8 > > > am completely unqualified - and not just because it meant getting
9 > > > out of bed before 9am :-O
10 > >
11 > > Ha, ha! A very nice lady approached me too (admitted to having
12 > > harvested my address from the Gentoo M/L) but run away when I told
13 > > her that the only way I would share my CV details with Google would
14 > > be via a person to person meeting in their London offices and the
15 > > amount of income I would expect for a job there.
16 >
17 > My first reaction was, why would Google need a CV from me, surely they
18 > already know more about me than my mother does? Clearly they don't.
19 >
20 > At first I thought it was some type of scam, but several checks
21 > confirmed that it was a valid approach and I ended up speaking to
22 > them by phone, at a time that put them in California.
26 I've been contacted, and interviewed by phone, by Google TWICE. Both
27 times the person said straight up they read gentoo-users <shrug>
28
29 Turns out this list and local LUGs are by far the best way to find good
30 Linux talent. You can't hide where you are really at anymore after
31 posting here for a few months
34 Alan McKinnnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com