From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dd - bytes at a time
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 15:15:11
1 On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:11:27 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > > Incidentally, if you want to use dd, adding bs=4096 speeds it up quite
4 > > significantly.
5 >
6 > Thank you. I have always wondered what the optimal bs might be.
7 > And why - could you possibly explain that, please?
8 >
9 > Is bs=4096 best for all disk-based operations?
10
11 Many filesystems are set up with 4K blocks, so matching this with dd is
12 more efficient. The default is 512 byte blocks and anything larger
13 than this is good, I sometimes use 40960 but that isn't significantly
14 faster. I prefer to avoid using dd on hard disks altogether, it's just
15 so damn slow for large amounts of data.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 You can't teach a new mouse old clicks.