From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Corruption of scp'd files
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:38:53
1 On Sunday 28 December 2008, Daniel Troeder wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, den 28.12.2008, 14:12 +0000 schrieb Mick:
3
4 > > Can you explain why this seemingly random corruption occurs?
5 >
6 > Most likely a broken NIC or NIC-driver. I had this two times (once with
7 > a rented root server). Problems occurred only when connection speed was
8 > high. For further tests., try also using a slow connection (<1 mbit).
9 > bandwidth limiting is possible on the command line with scp and rsync.
10
11 Thanks Daniel, I think my gentoo NIC is OK (I haven't noticed such problems
12 when I connect with my gentoo to other servers). Getting 1 Mbps upload at
13 this time of my local ADSL availability remains wishful thinking. At best I
14 see around 407 kbps average, and when throttled this drops to 150-200 kbps.
15 What would be a good speed to limit uploading to, given that I would rather
16 complete the upload sooner rather than later.
17
18 > > Can I trust bzip2 and its CRC tests?
19 >
20 > I think you can, but _much_ better is using MD5 or SHAx checksums.
21
22 I have tried both md5sum and sha1sum with similarly unreliable results. I'll
23 try speed limiting next and see what gives.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick