From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 23:25:48
1 On Freitag, 25. Mai 2007, Denis wrote:
2 > This is the first time ever that I ended up with an unbootable kernel
3 > after a new install, and I have no idea where to start. This is a
4 > fresh install of Gentoo 2007.0 minimal CD stage 3, using the x86 quick
5 > install guide.
6 >
7 > Here's the error I get at boot while the kernel is loading its device
8 > drivers:
9 >
10 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
11 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
12 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
13 > unknown-block(0,0)
14 >
15 > I am using grub, with conf file just like in the install guide (I
16 > happened to use the same file system set-up):
17 >
18 > title=Gentoo
19 > root (hd0,0)
20 > kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda3
21 >
22 > I have a SATA drive in my system, which seems to get loaded fine by
23 > the kernel, at least from what I can tell - there seem to be no error
24 > messages to that effect.
25 >
26 > I suppose I could do a genkernel, but I'd like to be able to tell
27 > where I went wrong with my config... Where do I start looking for
28 > this?
29
30 like copying the relevant parts of dmesg for us to see?
31
32 maybe it is a missing sata-driver, missing scsi-disk support?
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list