From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 19:38:21
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 08:15:51AM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> I don't recall seeing this mentioned but this may be part of the issue
5 >> unless I'm missing something that rules this out.  Could it be a drive
6 >> is a SMR drive?
7 >
8 > SMR may slow down drive response time and throughput, but it should never
9 > generate I/O errors in the syslog. If resetting or swapping the SATA cables
10 > does not help, then I’d suspect the drive going bad. A long selftest might
11 > be in order (smartctl -t long). smartctl -a shows how long this will take
12 > approximately (it’s rather accurate).
13 >
14 > For my PC’s rust drive (1 TB WD Blue) it says:
15 > Extended self-test routine
16 > recommended polling time: ( 113) minutes.
21 That's true but weird things happen.
22
23 If it helps any, my 6Tb drive takes around 700 minutes.  My 8Tb drive
24 takes around 1200 minutes.  Yea, over two days.  O_O
25
26 Dale
27