From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA - Still No Sound
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 20:40:40
1 Two dozen??? How many computers do you have?
2
3 On Mar 6, 2011 12:55 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 4:03 AM, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
6 <SNIP>
7
8 > I think I have made some progress. After getting a new sound card
9 > (Sound Blaster X-Fi) and buil...
10 <SNIP>
11
12 I've got one of these X-Fi devices although mine is not a Creative
13 Labs device.. The device looks like a PCI-Express 1x devices but on my
14 motherboard it turned out it only works in one specific slot. Check
15 your MB specs for any similar limitations.
16
17 As for the in-kernel/module question, I've done Linux audio for years.
18 I can almost promise you that the Alsa devs never build the drivers
19 into the kernel. For that reason alone I never do. I've had a few
20 problems over the years when they were built in, later fixed by the
21 devs so that it worked built in, but in my experience it's always
22 better to start with it as a module, get it working, and then if it's
23 important to you build it in. I have about 2 dozen sound cards here. I
24 build all of them as drivers for every machine so that I can move
25 cards around for special needs and not need to rebuild the kernel.
26
27 Good luck,
28 Mark