From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EAPI packages
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 21:05:29
1 On 16/08/2016 20:04, Mick wrote:
2 > The longest I've taken to update a server was around 6 months - I was planning
3 > to retire it, but plans changed. If anything it tested my memory, because I
4 > came across each and every problem I had come across when I was updating my
5 > other systems in the previous 6 months. ;-)
8 I went three years once. But I got lucky, if you recall portage
9 development speeded up a lot 2 years or so ago and was far less busy
10 before that. I did that update at the tail end of the less busy period.
11 Took about 2 weeks :-)
12
13 And I did come across all the same problems you mention. I did it mostly
14 to prove to myself I still have what it takes, but it sure wasn't worth
15 it for any other reason. The box gets updated about monthly now - it has
16 a small number of routine arch packages found on a LAN, and updates
17 maybe 20 or so packages a month.
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com