From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde-apps/kde-l10n-16.04.3:5/5::gentoo conflicting with kde-apps/kdepim-l10n-15.12.3:5/5::gentoo
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:39:30
1 On 08/10/2016 10:20 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:13:29 AM james wrote:
3 >> On 08/10/2016 07:45 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 05:22:22 PM james wrote:
5 >
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I did a quick test with games-arcade/xgalaga. It's an old, quirky game
8 >>>> with sporadic lag variations. On a workstation with 32G ram and (8) 4GHz
9 >>>> 64bit cores, very lightly loaded, there is no reason for in game lag.
10 >>>> Your previous settings made it much better and quicker the vast majority
11 >>>> of the time; but not optimal (always responsive). Experiences tell me if
12 >>>> I can tweak a system so that that game stays responsive whilst the
13 >>>> application(s) mix is concurrently running then the quick
14 >>>> test+parameter settings is reasonably well behaved. So thats becomes a
15 >>>> baseline for further automated tests and fine tuning for a system under
16 >>>> study.
17 >>>
18 >>> What kind of storage are you running on? What filesystem? If you're still
19 >>> hitting swap, are you using a swap file or a swap partition?
20 >>
21 >> The system I mostly referenced, rarely hits swap in days of uptime. It's
22 >> the keyboard latency, while playing the game, that I try to tune away,
23 >> while other codes are running. I try very hard to keep codes from
24 >> swapping out, cause ultimately I'm most interested in clusters that keep
25 >> everything running (in memory). AkA ultimate utilization of Apache-Spark
26 >> and other "in-memory" techniques.
27 >
28 > Gotcha. dirty_bytes and dirty_background_bytes won't apply to anything that
29 > doesn't call mmap() with a file backing or perform some other file I/O. If
30 > you're not doing those things, they should have little to no impact.
31
32 Background needed:: I'm one of those (idealists?) that deeply believes
33 the holy grail of computing will soon emerge (nice pun huh). That is
34 that clusters, local clusters will run all workloads that multicore
35 systems currently do. So a bunch of old crap can become a beautiful
36 computational system, whilst I sit back and sip exotic beverages and
37 enjoy my day; video training to go to the gym and dominate the young
38 studs on the court.... New hardware (aka new computers and cosmetic
39 surgery) will do the rest.
40
41 So an incredible variety of memory, storage and file systems will
42 ultimately need to be tested. I try to stay simple and focused (believe
43 it or not). Initially the thought is to run a primitive desktop, like
44 lxde or lxqt and use those under utilized resources as
45 node-computational contributors, whist still remaining responsive at the
46 keyboard (xgalaga is a quick and dirty test for this). So, you now have
47 a wonderful cover story is the boss catches you noodling around with
48 swords and sorcery to, you can tell'm you looking for subtle latency
49 issues...... The game speeds up and slows down, with zero swapping, due
50 to my I suspect mostly as VM issues and MM issues.
51 An 8 core never goes above 0.2 on the load and only rarely saturates one
52 core, for a transient instance. Even if xgalaga is a single thread game,
53 it does not explain this transient keyboard lag. I'm open to other forms
54 of quick at-the-keyboard graphical tests as a quick and dirty
55 measurement of overall system attentiveness to pending addtional
56 input/workload demands. After that is happy, with a given set of running
57 codes (test-vectors) I can get a very quick feedback of performance this
58 way.
59
60 For deeper studies, I like trace-cmd/Ftrace/KernelShark, but those are
61 like zabbix on utilization and analytical studies. I use xgalaga as a
62 quick and dirty; but am surely open to new codes for that sort of quick
63 and easy feedback.
67 > Ideal values for dirty_bytes and dirty_background_bytes will depend heavily on
68 > the nature of your underlying storage. Dozens of other things might be tweaked
69 > depending on what filesystem you're using. Which is why I was asking about
70 > those things.
71
72 A myriad of combinations exist. So picking some common combinations,
73 will allow for others to test my work, when it is package up for sharing
74 and testing. For me eventually automating a collection of 'test vectors'
75 is what's important, not the first few test-vectors themselvs. Then the
76 pathway forward for other collections of running processes can become
77 yet another collection of 'test vectors'. No limit on these collectives.
78 Eventually a customer will step forward and define the collective of
79 'test vectors', so I do hope to work with/for one of the more
80 progressive vendors, eventually, in these efforts. Certainly sharing the
81 work, openly, is far more important to me. For now, I start with things
82 I like, know and have some familiarity with; no magic on these choices.
85 >> Combined codes running simultaneously never hits the HD (no swappiness)
86 >> but still there is keyboard lag.
87 >
88 > Where are you measuring this lag? How much lag are we talking about?
89
90 Remember, I'm an EE and complex fluids computational kind of guy, so I
91 have no problem drudging down the sparse or full matrix types of
92 mentally inebriating adventuresome calculations, like computational
93 chemistry. But, since this approach is not yet ready for those sorts of
94 things, I keep things simple; for now. What I want, is an automated
95 installation semantic, where folks can download images and run them on
96 their small clusters) on a weekly basis and keep solving the same
97 test-vector collectives over and over. Tweaks and ideas are in the newly
98 released images, a group of gentoo-users test things out. But
99 an automated, quick and simple gentoo system, flies against what most
100 folks believe in this community (dammit, I have to respect, so I work on
101 my one scripts I have lifted from others) {wink wink; nudge nudge}.
102 As you already know....
105 >> Not that it is actually affecting the
106 >> running codes to any appreciable degree, but it is a test I run so that
107 >> the cluster nodes will benefit from still being (low latency) quickly
108 >> attentive to interactions with the cluster master processes, regardless
109 >> of workloads on the nodes. Sure its not totally accurate, but so far
110 >> this semantical approach, is pretty darn close. It's not part of this
111 >> conversation (on VM etc) but ultimately getting this right solves one of
112 >> the biggest problems for building any cluster; that is workload
113 >> invocation, shedding and management to optimize resource utilization,
114 >> regardless of the orchestration(s) used to manage the nodes. Swapping to
115 >> disc is verbotim, in my (ultimate) goals and target scenarios.
116 >>
117 >> No worries, you have given me enough info and ideas to move forward with
118 >> testing and tuning. I'm going to evolve these into more precisely
119 >> controlled and monitored experiments, noting exact hardware differences;
120 >> that should complete the tuning of the Memory Management tasks, within
121 >> acceptable confine . Then automate it for later checking on cluster
122 >> test runs with various hardware setups. Eventually these test will be
123 >> extended to a variety of memory and storage hardware, once the
124 >> techniques are automated. No worries, I now have enough ideas and
125 >> details (thanks to you) to move forward.
126 >
127 > You've got me curious, now you're going to go run off and play with your
128 > thought problems and not share! Tease!
129
130 Dude, I share too much. If you had not gone of vacation (from
131 gentoo-user) you'd know this. Since I am way too mentally handicapped to
132 do all of this on my own, (and too old and wise to even try) I routinely
133 seek guidance and help. I read quite a lot, to remind me of the mistakes
134 from previous distributed parallel computational attempts; and that
135 reading also saddens me a bit to see so many malformed cluster ideas. Oh
136 well, failure is the most important lesson technical folks learn. Most
137 often ideas just bounces off the wall right back at me, but I have
138 learned to duck (most of the time). YOU and anyone else are most welcome
139 to join my efforts; we all shall benefit from robust, local clusters, as
140 masters of gentoo (or poezer of gentoo, just like me). <end philosophy>
141
142 So while we are at it, scripts or stage-4 images that can be rapidly
143 booted up on a given small hardware cluster, are keen to my approach.
144 Memory management, is probably the most challenging aspect of building
145 and robustly (efficient resource utilization) managing these clusters
146 or outsourced clusters (clouds in vendor speak). I Use the same cluster
147 setup, to test a myriad of different problem-solution sets on the
148 identical hardware, but only change the software, including file
149 systems: both DFS (cephfs/orangefs/openAFS/Beefs) and the local fs (xfs,
150 ext4,) and well as hybrids like btrfs and special file systsems like
151 bcache. On top of Openstack, Hadoop, Mesos, old Beowulf (with a fast DFS
152 replacing NFS) and others.
153
154 Once domain specific problems are moved to a cluster and that solution
155 set is near-optimal, after robustly testing many codes, in a CI fashion
156 outlined above, it becomes a stage-4 canned solution for somebody to run
157 on their hardware. If they need more hardware resouces, within a
158 specific interval, THEN outsource those resource needs to the Cloud
159 Vendors. Expecting a cloud vendor to be a champion of your Domain
160 Specific need, is a roadmap to chapter 11 or 13, for that corporation.
161 I suspect that once AWS and Google and MS and IBM learn what the NSA
162 already knows, there will be a feeding frenzy on aquisitions of old
163 technology companies. That's ultimately where the action is in clusters.
164
165 All of this 'smoke and mirrors' marketing centric on social networks is
166 just that; smoke and mirros. Why do I say this? Simple; there already is
167 enough processing power to solve those problems and needs with current
168 Snoracle style solutions and the by the bloated on wall-street.
169
170 Now HPC, dude, that's the sweet edge of clustering. There are numerous
171 gargantuan issues in that sphere and a few, like DESHAW are getting RICH
172 off of clusters. He, a single Stanford professor, mastered computational
173 chemistry, and locked his expertise into ASIC chips.
174 Now he is conquering wallstreet. Domain Specific solutions are where the
175 action is in clusters. It not that there's not money in the social
176 networking spheres, those are locked up by the 'cost barrier to entry'
177 semantics. OK, I digress. But the important thing is local clusters,
178 taht can be rapidly build and torn down and reconfigured, with a few
179 simple keystrokes, are the future of clusters. A given small to mid
180 sized company better learn how to build their own clusters, or they be
181 in the welfare line, like several other billion folks are.
184 CoreOS and unikernels are really quite similar to my approach to
185 clusters. A variety of Problem-solutions sets (aka test vectors) on
186 identical hardware will light the pathway for Domain Specific cluster
187 solutions. Mine will be a node cluster on amd64, for now.
188
189 So, I'm not sitting on some Stanford level of skills or knowledge base
190 (think amplabs). I have decades of experiences in mostly unfulfilled
191 promises for ubiquitous distributed processing, and only narrowly (very
192 tightly) focuses success stories. Still, I am a believer in that the
193 current crop of linux clusters will become an Utopia computation engine
194 system that works from the most modest of needs like mundane admin
195 taskloads to the most demanding, time-sequence RT simulations of some of
196 the grand challenges in computational dynamics and similar areas.
197
198 But, after several years of research, I mostly see kids trying the same
199 crap we tried decades ago, with a new 'fancy-pants' programming
200 language:: (hence the prediction that the current cluster kids are being
201 manipulated by the VC firms and deep pocketed folks toward certain
202 failure), whilst they pay off their debts. Same story, different overlord.
205 I am conflicted as to whether this is intentional or just a repeat of
206 tards leading the blind and innocent off the cliff. That is most of the
207 vendor centric cluster (marketers call these clouds), developing new
208 codes are clueless. That said, surely those corps with large collections
209 of existing software can migrate those critical codes to the cloud and
210 only offer new versions of that software, with a (cloud centric)
211 internet-needed license. Think Azure/MS, IBM etc etc. But that sort of
212 position, will just allow competitors to eat away larger chunks of their
213 market share. (But I really don't care about his part of the Cloud
214 illusion. I'm a hard core hardware type who already knows that the
215 future of clusters is mostly local, with local control. The cloud will
216 become a secondary or tertiary market for cpu cycles and garbage
217 collection (think social networking databases). Sure folks will put
218 their websites on commercial clouds, but that is already just a natural
219 evolution of Co-location of server and not some breakthrough is technology.
224 Down this pathway, the developments in the latest version of Clang, gcc,
225 etc etc, and EEs making the resources of the GPU (including DDR5+) into
226 a transparent computational resource for the routine compilers. rDMA is
227 going to change (everything). Ram will finally not be the bottleneck, as
228 FPGA and GPU resources can be configured, dynamically, as either highly
229 specialize processors or highly specialized memory (look at CAMs, or
230 Content Addressible Memory for a teaser). Router vendors have been
231 making billions of dollars by adding CAMs to otherwise mundane
232 processing systsems.
233
234 No more of those ancient (intel) parallel compilers and shit like
235 that.... Plus and avalance of re-configurable memory types; mostly
236 transparent to folks that use "emerge" for custom compiling. Then there
237 is a hardened kernel. Few in the cluster world even know such things
238 exist; more sadly why they are necessary and when they are necessary.
239 Keep puffing on that buntu hoka pipe, brah_heim.....
242 The flip side to this is that a lot of Vendors think that bloated linux
243 operating systems, on top of non-tuned, non-stripped insecure linux
244 kernels is going to be commercially viable. If you build your house on
245 turds, when it starts to rain, there is a funky smell in the air, before
246 it washes away. Bloated buntu, debian or RHEL are turds and are not
247 going to work compared to stripped, minimal linux systems. That's where
248 Docker, just "bitch-slapped" their competition by moving to subsume
249 Apline linux.....
250
251 Your postings and clarity on VM, has helped me focus, immensely. It is
252 the current need in my work. Have I shared enough for you, today?
253
254 Any other questions, or ideas are most welcome, publically or privately.
255 I could be wrong about all of this, but, my fourth generational stab at
256 ubiquitous (distributed || parallel) processing experiences tell me I'm
257 not wrong but have the right idea. I do lack current skills in so many
258 areas, that my work is impeded.
259
260 Without the gentoo community, I could not posses such visions of
261 future-present greatness; nor share it with others.
266 >>>> Perhaps Zabbix +TSdB can get me further down the pathway. Time
267 >>>> sequenced and analyzed data is over kill for this (xgalaga) test, but
268 >>>> those coalesced test-vectors will be most useful for me as I seek a
269 >>>> gentoo centric pathway for low latency clusters (on bare metal).
270 >>>
271 >>> If you're looking to avoid Zabbix interfering with your performance,
272 >>> you'll
273 >>> want the Zabbix server and web interface on a machine separate from the
274 >>> machines you're trying to optimize.
275 >>
276 >> agreed.
277 >>
278 >> Thanks Mike,
279 >> James
280 >
281 > np
284 Clusters will end up on people's wrist watches, in the trunks of their
285 autos and at their homes:: So they control their computational needs and
286 security, sooner rather than later. I think the next president will
287 mandate the opening of the OS to many vendors and open source for Cell
288 phones, Apps and such. The current monopolies are excessively more
289 powerful than the old 'robber barrons' and that fact is well recognized
290 by lost of deeper thinkers. It's braned under globalization, but, it's
291 demise is just under the horizon, imho.
292
293 True, ubiquitous clusters will be a result of hard work on compilers
294 that take sequential problems and break them down into pieces and
295 reassemble them into a form that can leverage parallel techniques. gcc 5
296 and 6 and Clang are moving, rapidly in this direction. GPU vendors
297 understand the importance of SIMD and MIMD processing for 'systolic'
298 algorithms and such approaches to massive distributed processing. AMD
299 (Radeon) understands that this power can most effectively be used, if it
300 is cheap and open sourced. Nvidia, no so quick to follow (or lead) down
301 this open source path, imho. Intel purchasing a FPGA company and
302 licensing GPU technologies from many others, tells me the hardware
303 vendors are preparing for a revolution. A direct sales channel to the
304 commoners will be their greatest path to rediculous profitability. Why?
305 Simple, the smaller the core (competitive team) that exists, the more
306 excessive processing resources that will be purchased and purchased
307 closer to the retail price.
308
309 When hardware vendors partner with a few sofware companies, the margins
310 on hardware get squeezed. Besides the hackers of the work, are finding
311 any critical barriers to codes and publishing it so all have fair access
312 to the latest codes (one way or another). The NSA and such entities are
313 not going to stop this, because all of this software espionage,
314 justifies governments taxing the snot out of citizens to fight those
315 evil hackers. It's a far superior business model for DoD
316 types like intel and google, than the cold ware ever though about being.
317 The average tax-payer is too stupid to realize social network, with an
318 Onior approach, is just feeding data-sets via google, linkedin, facebook
319 etc, directly to the NSA and other Nation State actors. WE get jobs
320 and pay taxes. They set the rules and manage the data.
321
322 Problem is, eventually, the commoners will have sufficent clusters,
323 solar panels water wells or sources and green house and tell da_main
324 to stick his taxes on imports. Fine that works, then everybody gets
325 a 3D printer and we, the commoners are self sufficient.
326
327 The simple fact is that is a great business model for EVERYONE,
328 including the elites, so what are we waiting on? A stupid old man like
329 me? Naw, not at Gentoo, buntu, sure, RHEL definately, but not gentoo,
330 brah. WE are the solution to everything!
331
332 </>
333
334 James