From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CF and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:38:25
1 On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:18:56 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > I've been on a journey to migrate many servers (firewalls and dns)
4 > to Compact Flash (CF) drives to improve reliability,
5
6 Bear in mind the limited write lifetime of flash memory. Don't put /var
7 or /tmp on such a card if you can avoid it.
8
9 http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10448
10
11 > Issue 4. Cloning or Duplicating.
12 > As many of you know, installations can be quite time consuming,
13 > and challenging on old PCs. So what I intend to do is take
14 > and currently running machine and stream the contents to
15 > another machine with a CF burner or pull the CF card from
16 > a machine that is in good shape but shutdown and duplicate it.
17
18 Why not copy the contents of a card to a hard disk somewhere? That way
19 you don't have to disturb a running machine to make a copy.
20
21 > 4A. Best method to duplicate the CF card live while the system
22 > is running.
23
24 Don't.
25
26 > DD, cpio, scp (example syntax) in a step by step)?
27
28 You could dd the card to a file and use the same file every time you need
29 a new card.
30
31 > 4B. What is the minimal amount of data/files that need to be edited
32 > bot build a similar but unique machine.
33 > 1. IP address (edit conf.d/net).
34 > 2. Name (edit) conf.d/hostname).
35
36 Both of these can be handled by DHCP.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)